The Trailer Frame

Now we’re down to the real problem-why the whole trailer is sagging.

underside of floor – front of trailer (Jack) is at top. Everything past the wheel well (tubs) to the floor is overhang. The metal frame only went to behind wheel tub. Later models had a longer frame to accomodate the long overhang.
First order of business, take the wheel (wells)tubs off and determine the condition of them.
Both wheel tubs have been determined to be too flimsy and unable to keep out moisture and pests, so they’ve been sent off to be remade.
Tubs removed from frame – trying to organize a bit.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch we are addressing the metal frame.
A little bit of sandblasting in 100 degree heat.
Then off to my trailer repair guy to make sure there’s no hairline cracks or weak welds.
Here is what the earlier compacts frame looked like. The red lines are the wood under structure that sits on the metal frame.
Rattle canned some paint on both the wheel tubs and the frame, painted the underside of wood with latex house paint and it’s time to start putting on the wood. Wheel tubs go on next.
And then the subfloor
.
The subfloor was painted with gray (underside).
Notice the gray 2×4 side. It will be cut under the wheel tub before putting the skins on. It will give the trailer the correct look for the side profile. BTW- the springs are turned incorrect on the axle and this trailer is sitting too high off the ground. The previous owner changed out the axle and we haven’t addressed that part yet since we can access it better. It will have to be done at a later date.
All screw holes, seams and crevasis are puttied and sanded. Ready for the Marmoleum flooring. Covered with a heavy paper to protect from kids and grandkids etc.
Took time out for this!
Rented a roller at Home Depot. Watched YouTube on how to lay linoleum. So now I’m an expert.
But of course there’s always critics…
Flooring is finished and heavy weight paper is paced on top to protect the marmoleum. Time for some clean up.

Interior Finishes

So this project is so basic. The whole camper is a minute big. It was built to be simplistic so by making it overly modern or trying to make it something its not would ruin what this camper is all about.

To keep it simple, I think the wood walls stained in an amber hue with polyurethane to seal is perfect. Flooring is marmoleum in an exact match to the original (except in sheet good not in 9″ squares). I’m keeping the original ice box and range but fixing them so they are clean and functionally safe. The gas lamp will be rewired to accept an LED light but will look like it is the original gas lamp – mantle and all.

Marmoleum sheet flooring in withered prairie

For the soft goods, I’m turning to JoAnn Fabrics but getting a commercial grade upholstery that can withstand wet bathing suits and sand. Its pricey but with the coupons 60 percent off! it is affordable and it brings the brown and teal together! Then maybe a welt around the cushion to bring in the pinks.

The curtains I tried to go for a Hawaiian print to match the new exterior which will be that teal that our vintage 1957 Chevy truck is painted. Looked everywhere online (Search is limited online because the world is quarantined due to Covid) so on Ebay I could only find a close match. I tried all sorts of formicas for the counter but all seemed to fight with the fabrics. Then I found the pink on the Panolam website. Since there’s not much countertop or table, I think It’s doable-I’m not much of a pink person. The laminate slides in the cabinets will be (white with gold/brown speckle) from a craigslist find that was a freebee – I just need to delaminate it from the counter its already on.